Posterior Chain Tri Set For Fat Loss
Using super sets and tri-sets are two methods I use with my personal training clients to stimulate a lot of lactic acid and therefore growth hormone, which is a pre-cursor to dropping body fat.
They can be performed with different body parts to stimulate more of a global effect in a full body routine or, as in this program, with the same muscle groups to target a specific area in a split body part routine.
The plan below is a routine I followed for the posterior chain last year, in the run up to a photo shoot I did in August. The routine is fantastic for getting a lot of volume into the posterior chain in a short space of time, so it’s great if you are short on time.
I would also use this with clients who need to add more muscle to their glutes and hamstrings. I have had a lot of success with this program and variations of it, with females who have needed to add a little more “junk in the trunk”.
- A1 Lying Hamstring Curl Toes Neutral and Plantar-Flexed 5 x 4-6 5010 rest 10s
- A2 Mixed Grip Romanian Deadlift 5 x 10-12 3110 rest 10s
- A3 Reverse Hyper Extension 5 x 15-20 rest 180s
- This is an advanced routine and not for beginners.
- Only use this if you are structurally balanced.
- You will need to drop the weight used in each set as the session progresses as there is incomplete rest between sets.
- You can change the Lying Hamstring Curl for seated if your gym only has a Seated Hamstring Curl machine.
- You can do a “MacGyver” version of the Reverse Hyper Extension on a Horizontal Back Extension, Glute Ham Raise or an Incline Bench if necessary.
- Make sure you warm up with some glute activation drills prior to the session.
For best results complete the workout twice per week for 3 weeks alongside a sensible fat loss orientated nutrition plan.
Book your FREE Coaching Call
I hope you found this article useful. If you would like additional support, book in for a complimentary 30 minute coaching call using the form below. I can help you with any exercise, nutrition or weight loss issues you are currently facing.